Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Never Said I Didn't Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Dad’s in the kitchen stirring this and that while I set the table. Katie sits on the couch flipping through magazines while Caleb meanders throughout the house, playing his xylophone and rocking out to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Garrett’s been here since I got home from school Friday, but he’s hiding out in his old room now.

The front door opens, and Dad power walks out of the kitchen only to be disappointed. It’s just Greg.

No one even says hello, not even his wife. We are a pathetic family. Although, when Caleb rounds the corner he spots his dad and runs to him, slamming into his legs. “There’s my big boy!” Greg says, picking him up and squeezing him tight. “How was your day, buddy?”

“Good,” Caleb says, smiling wide, looking just like his dad.

“I knew you’d have a great day!” he says to his son, matching his enthusiasm. Greg’s one of those people that’s generally happy and never complains. I think that trait is what makes him work with my constantly complaining sister. That and he stays out of the drama. I want to be more like him.

I look up from my task and smile. “Hey, Greg.”

“Hey. Mom here yet?” he asks.

“No, she’s coming from work,” Katie says from the couch still flipping through the magazine.

The door opens with a soft click, and in walks Mom. She sets her keys on the side table and lifts her sunglasses onto her head. “It’s smells fabulous in here.”

Dad sticks his head out of the kitchen, a big goofy grin plastered on his face. “Hi!” he says brightly.

“Hi,” she responds. “What can I do to help?”

“Um, nothing. We’ll eat in a few,” he says, folding his oven-mitted hands across his chest. It looks stupid, but I smile anyway because my parents are both home. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment