Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Masen Days Extras: Chapter 14


Excerpt . . .

“What happened?” I ask. I realize it’s the first time I’ve actually verbalized my desire to know about one of his injuries.

“Mom made dinner tonight.”

“And?”

“She hasn’t made dinner since my dad’s birthday.”

I motion with my hand for him to elaborate.

“. . . Two years ago.” I raise my head to meet his eyes. No one’s made dinner for him in two years?

“And you came here tonight?”

He shrugs.

“You could’ve cancelled.”

“No, I couldn’t.”

“Why not?”

“I just couldn’t. I wouldn’t do that. Not to you.”

“But—” Masen silences me with a tilt of his head.

“My dad was already . . . it doesn’t matter. He would’ve—it would’ve been worse if I had stayed. Trust me.”

Poor Masen.

I wrap my arms around his waist and press my face to his chest. He strokes my hair and sits in silence while I try not to cry. My dad stomps into the living room. He clears his throat, and I sit up. He gives me a look that says, Say goodnight, Bella.

With much persuasion on my part, Masen lets me drive him home. We hold hands the entire way. The drive is short, but it doesn’t matter; I want him with me as long as possible. We get out of the truck, and Masen plays with his skateboard, moving it around with his foot. He stops abruptly, pulls it up, and leans over to kiss me goodnight. I feel desperate to stay with him, so I tug his shirt, pulling him to me, making my intentions known with my mouth. He drops his board, places his hands on either side of me on the truck, and allows me to seek solace in the heat of his lips. It’s really hot, but also probably really inappropriate. I don’t really care though.

“I’m sorry,” I say. I’m not even sure what I’m apologizing for – for being selfish, for getting him hit, for forcing him to let me drive him home. All of it, I guess.

He presses a kiss on my forehead. “I’m not.”

Suddenly his front door opens wide, clanging against the brick of the house. A massive silhouette of a man is standing in it. “Is this her?” a gruff voice asks, and Masen shifts protectively, standing in front of me.

“Get in the truck, Bella.” Masen’s tone is severe but quiet.

“Come with me,” I whisper into his ear. I’m so alarmed I’m shaking.

His father takes a step out of the doorway, the outside light revealing him. He’s huge and intimidating, and I can’t for one second imagine Masen being able to get away from him. I grip his hand and tug at it, pleading with him to stay with me.

He turns his head and whispers, “Meet me at the green.” He rips his hand from mine and steps toward his abusive father.

Chapter Playlist . . .



Chapter Picteases . . .

 

Masen's Notebook Entry . . .


4 comments:

  1. You break my heart every week, but like a fool I keep coming back for more.
    As always, I can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can't wait for the next chapteer !! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. IccaSpriggs, I love fools! I am one. We gotta stick together, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fucking cry every time. He breaks me.

    ReplyDelete