Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Masen Days Extras: Chapter 15


Excerpt . . .

After a particularly boring day at school we head to The Wedge. He sits with me instead of skating. It’s a first. I don’t mind, but I wonder why he’s chosen to do so. Perhaps he’s just feeling the weight of his departure date on his shoulders. I know I am.

I work on a math assignment as he finishes up his essay for English. Every time I peek at him, I meet his eyes. It’s distracting, and the more I do it the more it befuddles me, but it also makes me smile. I really want to get out of here and drag him to my room to put a smile on his face in return, but I’m not sure how he’d feel about that. So instead, I chat with Angela.

When we’re talking, Masen hops on his skateboard and joins the guys. As soon as he’s gone, Angela starts berating me. “What are you doing?” she says, hitting me with an errant twig.

“What are you talking about?” I ask through laughter.

“Gawd, he totally wants to go home with you right now. If Embry gave me even one of the looks Masen has given you today, I’d throw down under the bridge, not caring who watched.”

“Ew.” She swats me again. “Seriously, what looks?”

She rolls her eyes and points toward the bridge. From this far off it’s hard to tell, but I’m fairly certain Masen’s eyes are on me. “See?” she says, sounding boastful. “Just take him home.”

“I . . .”

“Oh, wait, is your dad home?”

“No, he doesn’t get home until dinnertime today.”

Angela jumps to her feet, shouting, “Masen!”

She’s always yelling. What is she doing? She better not embarrass me.

He skates to us, doing a complicated aerial over the stairs before landing at my feet. “Hi,” he says, his lips curling into a grin, and I finally see it. His sea greens are lit up. He’s showing off. He’s flirting. He wants me.

“I’m going home. I might . . . uh, have some apples there. You comin’ with me?”

“Yeah,” he says and nods.

I snag my bag before mounting his board. I’d like to be mounting something else. He pushes me, and his hand on my lower back feels so much more present than it usually does. My mother always said, “Sex changes everything,” and she was so right.  

Chapter Playlist . . .


Chapter Picteases . . .



Masen's Notebook Entry . . .


1 comment:

  1. This was so cute. Angela is such a meddler.
    I'm excited for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete