Thursday, November 10, 2011

Welcome to The Wedge

Masen Days was a part of Twifictrivia this week (11/8/11), did you know? Question two was: What is the name of the skate park where Edward skateboards in Masen Days by @purelyamuse? Sarabara081 got the correct answer, which is The Wedge. Yay, Sarabara081!

Did you know that The Wedge actually exists? Well, it does, and I've taken a field trip (kids in tow) to take some photographs to share with you. The Wedge is a skate park in Scottsdale, Arizona that is housed within El Dorado Park.


El Dorado Park is really big and full of great amenities. It has soccer and ball fields, two lakes, a running stream, ramadas, playgrounds, riding trails, and the skate park. It's got something for everyone. I've always enjoyed visiting it and still do with my family. If you're ever in Snobstale you should check it out. ;)


When I was a teenager there was no official skate park, but anyone who had a pair of wheels -- bike, roller blades, or skateboard -- went to El Dorado Park to ride/skate under the McDowell bridge. We all called the designated riding/skating area The Wedge. In fact, until I visited the park recently, I thought it was just something that the locals called it -- myself included. I guess I was wrong, or perhaps the locals named the new park. I think that's pretty cool if that's the case.


Now that there's an actual skate park, you don't find many skaters under the bridge. They skate just around the corner in the fancy configurations provided by the state. It's really fun to watch the locals, but I didn't stay for long because the teenagers were giving me and my three children "What the hell are you doing here?" looks. We went to the playground and ate grapes instead. * shrugs*


According to Masen Days there are no actual skating features at The Wedge; they're simply skating under the bridge -- although there are some ramps and rails that can be used as such. So, for the purposes of showing you what Masen and Bella see on a daily basis I welcome you to The Wedge!


 Bella sits up here on the steps or on either wall. 
The trail in front leads down to The Wedge (under the bridge).


This is Bella's view as she watches Masen trick out. 
She could also sit on the ramp just outside the skating area, but she might risk being rolled over there. 

This is The Wedge where Masen skates with his friends. 
It is under McDowell bridge.  
Just to the right is a ramp that runs the length of the bridge.


This is the view from the ramp, showing part of the area where Masen skates. 
A stream runs through all of El Dorado Park, leading to the pond you see just on the opposite side.

4 comments:

  1. These photos are so cool! It's awesome to be able to picture The Wedge now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so happy that someone besides myself finds this interesting. Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember ever going to or even seeing the park. I think I know where it is, though. I do have to tell you this though. This is the most realistic story that I've ever read. I mean I love to read lemony stories on FF but you've done a superb job at writing this story. I'm gonna be sad to see it end. OH btw, Im DreamOfRob10 on FF. Love the music choices, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dream, I'm so in love with you today, I can't even describe how fun it was to re-live this with you! It's been a while since someone's read through and reviewed it all. So, thank you!
    So glad that you like the realism. It was one of my goals. And we all have @msjaxteller to thank for many of the music selections!
    PS Are you on Twitter?

    ReplyDelete