Friday, May 27, 2011

The Cullen Campaign

The Cullen Campaign by Belladonna1472
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5853742/1/The_Cullen_Campaign
Edward Cullen and Isabella Swan both have parents who are powerful on Capitol Hill. Problem is, their families are political enemies. What happens when Democrat!Edward and Republican!Bella bump into each other at Union Station in D.C.? AH. ExB. COMPLETE.



Belladonna1472 is hilarious. She is also Frickin' (see how I did that again?) smart. The girl knows stuff. Probably more than the average homemaker, ahem, me and my measly degree in education ain't got nothin' on her. Her tale of star-crossed lovers is not only fun to read, but it will make you breathless with laughter and giddy with love.

Edward and Bella come from politically rivaling families, yet their dynamics are too good to waste, so they use them. And by use them, I mean they boink on the train. I'm so subtle. This story covers their hidden romance, coming out to their parents, and a really great bromance between a married-to-Alice Jake and Edward, which I love. Let me clarify that last bit. Jake is married to Alice. He and Edward are friends. They're cool. Their relatioship in the story is oh so funny. This Jake is my favorite Jake in a Team Edward story. He's smart, confident, funny and sweet. Just the way I like my Jake. Okay, now I'm side tracked. Ahhh. The author creates vivid characters from Bella's protective brother, Emmett to Edward's father Carlisle who lives under a rock and says things like, "What's an Ashton Kutcher?" And I die from hyperventilating with laughter. This is possibly the funniest Carlisle I've ever read and only because he's so pop culture naive. This story, along with Belladonna's collab with Jenndema, Dear Mr. Masen, is one of those stories that makes you wish that everyone read fanfiction because then you could quote it and get some giggles. Alas, when I blurt out, "What's an Ashton Kutcher?" no one I know will laugh. Sigh, so sad.

The banter is hot, the romance is hot, the plot is hot, the smartness is hot. This story is politically intelligent without being pretentious and making me feel like a dumb housewife. And in the moments when I am a dumb housewife while reading this story, I'm quickly relieved because the author offers a glossary at the end of the chapter to explain any political jargon I didn't comprehend while reading it. Thanks by the way.

Team Jacob safe, though this is clearly an Edward/Bella tale.

No comments:

Post a Comment