Monday, February 14, 2011

Consistency Part 1: Writers

I've been thinking a lot about consistency lately and how much the simple act of being consistent can affect my desire/enjoyment of reading a fic. There are two separate topics I want to discuss here: 1) consistently good writers and 2) consistent characterization.

I've discovered quickly that all writers are different. Some have "it" while others don't. Some find "it" and get out one good story and then lose "it". I want to discuss some that have "it" and have kept "it". The following is a quick list of authors that I have found to be consistently good writers, as in they write well (technically), they write interesting stories, and many of them, if not all of them, are worth reading. Without further ado...

Mac214 is one hilarious girl. She writes silly/funny like you wouldn't believe. She has authored Ultio (an insanely dark crackfic), Things that Go Bump in the Night, Relative Wind, and one of my all time faves, Coming Through the Rye. All of her stories are excellent and all so different.

Bratty-Vamp writes honest, romantic stories that offer deep characterization. I find myself drowning in her characters. Her stories run the gamut as well from a canon Edward, a raw Edward, a good ol' neighbor next door, to a virginal, geeky Edward that can't dress himself. My personal favorite of hers is The Best Man, though Green may be my favorite young Edward and Abbracciare il Cantante is one of my fave canon Edwards. She's all around amazing.

Audreyii-fic writes Jake like no one else. She just gets him. He's sweet, sexy, witty, charming and oh so hot. Everything of hers I've read I've adored including the most recent story I've read Crossing and Uncrossing Lines which kept me up unitl 2 am and then some because I was . . . um . . . left frustrated. She puts humor into her stories that is real and not forced. She writes canon Jake but hates Stephenie Meyer which I find absolutely hilarious. I can't say enough about her writing, and my personal favorite is The Definition of Want.

MeraNaamJoker writes a bit of everything. I discovered her Jake/Bella story Better Now and fell in love immediately. Her banter is so witty and her transitions are seamless. She is so friggin' smart I don't think I found one single error in her writing and I have a good eye (just not on my own fics ;)). Her latest piece was a Paul imprints on Bella piece which I have dubbed Twinkle Twinkle. This story blew me away. I did not think I would like Paul or believe an imprint, but I did. And the instant lemonade in this story does not disgust, it entices. Her smart dialogue and great storylines will keep you entertained consistently.

Give any one of these authors a go. Seriously choose any one of their stories and I assure you, you will find fanfiction gold.

Stay tuned for Part 2 Consistent Characterization

No comments:

Post a Comment