Thursday, June 20, 2013

Never Said I Didn't Chapter 9

97671885639124462_jql1okkr_c_largeChapter 9


There’s one more inning, and I’m lethargic and want to go home. I sit on the bench, head low, thinking about Bella and my dad and Mom and why my life sucks. How did it turn to crap in such a short amount of time? It’s exhausting being miserable.

“Cullen!” Coach barks.

“Yep?” I snap my head up.

“You’re up.”

I need to pay attention. This is pathetic. I was better than this when I was playing t-ball.

I warm up, taking a few swings. The batter ahead of me hits a double, setting the bar high. I take my stance, gripping the bat and toeing the ground. I grind my teeth, excited to take my anger out on the ball.

Here’s the pitch.

Crack!

It’s up, high and to the left.

“Foul ball,” the umpire calls.

“Come on, Edward!” a familiar voice yells.

I turn and tip up my helmet to see Bella’s friendly face. She’s in uniform pants but lost her shirt, wearing a tank instead, showing off her tan, sweaty skin. She’s gorgeous. I smile and turn back to my game, rejuvenated.

“Hit ‘em hard, Edward. Let’s go,” she says, cheering me on.

The ball flies, and I swing and miss.

“Shake it off. The next one’s yours! Take it, Edward, it’s yours!”

Something about her calling my name builds me up, makes me feel like I can’t miss, like it’s physically impossible.

The ball comes, and my swing’s dead on. I book it to first and keep my eye on the outfielder who’s chasing my grounded ball. He fumbles, but he’s on it, too. I hedge closer to second but hesitate until Bella calls out, “Go for it! Run your ass as fast as you can!” So I do!

The outfielder’s throw is crap, and I’m free to keep running, making it all the way to third and sending two of my teammates home. It was a great play.


Here We Go by Matt Kearney

Oh no,
Here we go again
I know how I lost a friend
We go 'round and 'round again
Oh, oh
Oh, oh

Around here
We've got a light here that's not going away
If all is broken, and all is lost
Then I've been found,
So here's my heart
I'll give over and over again

No comments:

Post a Comment