Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Masen Days Extras Chapter 7


Excerpt . . .

He writes in his notebook beside me. I’ve noticed the act so many times but have never seen his words close enough to know what it says. Part of me wishes I were sly enough to steal it, so I could read his deep thoughts. And, truly, they must be deep considering how quiet he is. Maybe that’s where he keeps his heart – in his notebook.

I stretch out my right arm and use it as a pillow as I watch him sketch or write or whatever it is he’s doing. He doesn’t even look at me for a long while, but when he does, he’s smiling. It’s happy, content, and makes him look adorable.

“What?” he mouths. Clearly he’s noticed me staring. Oh, well.

“Nothing,” I mouth back, yet I don’t change a thing about my behavior or my position. I continue as-is: gawking at Masen, wondering about him, and daydreaming.

Apparently, I daydream too long because I actually fall asleep. Masen wakes me by stroking my arm. I blink lazily and inhale deeply, the dark red fabric of my shirt rising with my expanding lungs. I feel oddly refreshed. I smile at Masen, who’s staring at me now.

His position mirrors mine, and we gaze at each other across the table. It’s comforting having him look at me this way – like he knows me, like he trusts me.

“Hi,” I mouth, and he closes his eyes and smirks, shaking his head against his arm. He opens them, wide with mischief. What on earth is he thinking? I’d love to know, so I ask. “What?” I mouth.

He waits a beat, trying my patience, then mouths, “Nothing.”

He’s so frustrating, but I wouldn’t have him any other way. Or maybe I would. I mean, it’s Masen, so . . .

Chapter Playlist . . .



Masen's Notebook Entry . . .

 
 

3 comments:

  1. I so voted for you! Good Luck. Hope you kick some ass. Thanks for the teaser.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted and I can't wait for this next chapter.

    ReplyDelete