Friday, September 16, 2011

Goodnight, Noises Everywhere

Goodnight, Noises Everywhere by Feisty Y. Beden
Bella is the only survivor of a virus which has killed off the human race. Is there anyone-anything-still alive on this dying planet? Entry for the Twilight 25 Challenge. Post-apocalyptic good times. Bella/Edward




Brilliant, haunting, disturbing and deliciously addictive.

This is possibly the most unique story I have ever read, ever. Just as the summary says, Bella is the only human living after a virus decimates the human race. She lives off of canned goods, very little water, and roams her neighborhood entertaining herself by counting, singing, and talking to herself. There aren't any animals or wildlife or any living thing left. Her life is dark, sad, and desperately lonely until she discovers a new statue at a park - an Edward statue.

Edward chose not to eat when the humans were infected and thus is still living, though like a statue in his weakened state. He and Bella develop a friendship of sorts and enjoy each other's company. The author brilliantly takes canon and tweaks it. Yes, this is canon AU. This is the same Bella and Edward from Twilight, only Edward left the first day he met Bella and, um, the human race was wiped out. I know! It's so brilliant. Gah!

Edward and Bella are desperate for each other in every way imaginable and give in to their desires, though the depression of Edward's state (his need for blood to move more than an inch) complicates things. In true canon fashion, Bella is very giving in every way imaginable against her better interest, or maybe not depending on how you view it.

This tale is engaging from start to finish. It grips you and never lets go. And the ending . . . hold on to your butts, people. Seriously. Now go read!

Team Jacob Safe because, uh, he's human and all humans are dead. Sorry.

4 comments:

  1. I read this a while ago and loved it. I still think about it from time to time.

    I hope you've also read Feisty's "Sleepers Awake". If you haven't, you must. It's one of my top five all-time. It made my soul ache in the best way. And Bella's relationship with Charlie is so beautifully understated. It inspired me to call my dad several times. I'd love to read your review and hear what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that. I'll save it on my TBR list. Thanks! What else is on your top 5?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it's a bit of a fluid list and I think you've reviewed some of these, but off the top of my head (in addition to "Sleepers"):
    - "Expectations and other Moving Pieces" by chrometurtle
    - "Elemental" by TallulahBelle
    - "Volition" by RochelleAllison
    - "Of Kith and Kin" by Chicklette

    If we expand to a top ten, I'd include:
    "A Quiet Fire" (because of your review, thanks)
    "Tropic of Virgo"
    "Disappear Here"
    "And With Thee Fade Away"
    "Emancipation Proclamation"

    I could keep going, but I'll spare us all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, good list. There's a few here I haven't read. I may ask you about them when I'm ready to read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete