Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Boys on Boards Contest Notable Entries

These are the one shots I was sure were going to kick my ass, and I was right -- mostly.

My personal favorite, though it won 2nd Place in the contest, was Beautiful Girl by EZRocksAngel. Summary: Edward's life changes when he meets a new girl.

It features a nameless free-spirited girl who wins Edward's heart. She moves around a lot and marks herself with a star tattoo when life gives her memories she wants to commemorate. With Edward's star over her heart, will she find her way back to him? This fic showcases Edward's POV and has many memorable characters. If I tattooed myself with fics I'd want to remember, I'd be starred for this one.

The 1st Place winner was For When I'm Gone by Jandco.  Summary: Skateboards and growing up all in one summer!

Bella is victimized by her parents' new divorce. Her mother, clothed in a robe and a constant ring of cigarette smoke, lounges around the house, doing nothing of import. The only good thing about Bella's summer is the empty pool in her backyard that the local skaters enjoy based on Rosalie's invitation. Rosalie, Emmett, Edward and the rest of the characters are well thought out and very distinct. Jandco really brought this fic to life for me with the details. I really enjoyed it.

Another one shot that I loved but didn't get nearly enough recognition (in my opinion) was Fall Into Place by Vican.  Summary: Boys on Boards contest: With a new friendship blooming between herself and surfer-boy Edward, Bella Swan finds herself fighting for balance, in more ways than one. Skating, baking and growing crushes all send her mind and heart spinning.

Vican is also the author of one of my favorite one shots, Up To Scratch. It is now a full story. The first chapter is the original one shot and laugh out loud funny. I adore it.

Fall Into Place follows two friends who do the funnest things together like surfing, skateboarding, and baking. The banter between these two and the experiences that they have are ridiculously funny. Vican has a knack for writing real life, and this fic has real life in spades. I especially enjoyed the big moment at the end that was so downplayed it was stunningly perfect. Much love for this fic.

No comments:

Post a Comment