Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Tunes with Tony Masen

Tunes with Tony Masen by Just4ALE
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5821478/1/Tunes_with_Tony_Masen
Our late night calls were fascinating. His attitude in person was frustrating. Stupid radio host with the velvety, seductive voice. Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde? Will the real Tony Masen please stand up? AH. M for language and lemonade.

Izzy Swan lives a stilted life. Fresh out of a divorce from Mike, and hurt by a close family friend, Izzy's learned to live safely, to not take risks. Her close friends - Leah, Angela, Jake and Nessie - all encourage her to move on, to be strong. Her therapist Jasper feels the same. But she can't seem to budge. She likes the safety of her mundane life, especially her nighttime routine which includes listening to the velvet voice of one Tony Masen who delights her with his vast knowledge of seventies music. Tony poses trivia questions daily and Bella quickly becomes the Queen of trivia, a name selected by Tony himself, as she knows nearly all the answers. Tony and Izzy have immediate chemistry on and off the air, but they've never actually met.

Jake pushes Izzy into a contest hosted by Tony's radio station, KFOG. After turning in her application for the contest, Tony and Izzy meet in person. It does not go well.

Izzy puts it behind her and swears off Tony, though notices his on-air hints that he misses her. She misses him too. She and Jake compete in the KFOG contest and get mixed up in a terrifying plot that involves a buttload of bad guys that aren't just thugs but smart and scary and gun wielding. Say what? I know. This story's plot is not what I thought it would be. But it's so much better than I ever expected. Moving on . . .

After Jake and Ness are held up by the bad guys Izzy goes on the run, finding someplace safe to hide -Tony's apartment. He's freaked in a very "Play Misty for Me" way (I stole this straight from the story), but he helps her nonetheless.

And thus the real adventures of Tony and Izzy begin. But who is Tony? And who is Izzy? They find out together in a well written dynamic plot by Just4ALE.

The characters are as intelligent and interesting as they are funny and sexy. Tony and Izzy's chemistry is heated and playful all at once. The back stories of these characters will draw you in as bit by bit their pasts are revealed and their lives intertwine. Just4ALE writes well; her technical skills rival her ability to keep you on your toes as a reader as you try to figure out where the hell the story is going. Good luck with that by the way. She doesn't  "Take it Easy" on us. See how I added a seventies musical reference? Just4ALE would be so proud. And speaking of music, the author's love of music comes through the story in spades and she offers a kick ass playlist on her profile.

Just4ALE is sweet and, although she has over 2000 reviews, she actually responds to reviewers. That to me shows just how grateful she is to her readers and how much she loves her own story. Shouldn't we all?! I know I do - love her story that is.

Her story offers an Edward unlike any other I've read, a smart riddle-it-out, frying pan wielding, butt kicking Bella, and many other b characters that you'll love. These include but are not limited to an ex-con Emmett, a baby protecting Rosalie, whorish, yet funny, Irina, a truly fun and tech savvy Alice, a therapizing Jasper, and a lawyer, married-to-Sam (Yay!) Leah. So, if the plot doesn't drive you (which it should) the uniqueness of the use of these characters will. Enjoy it!

Team Jake safe. He is adorable and completely in love with Nessie.

All excerpts are taken from Tunes with Tony Masen Chapter 11 Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run wherein some truths about Izzy and Tony are finally revealed, though it's just the tip of the iceberg.
He took another step toward me and then stopped. He removed his jacket, tossed it on the bed and then sat down on a chair near the dresser. He looked down at his hands. "Fuck."


And that too was unnerving. I decided to call him on it. "You say the EF word a lot. I didn't know you had such a dirty mouth."


His head snapped up and his angry eyes stared into mine. "Oh, does it offend your delicate sensibilities, Princess?"


I threw my hands up. "Give me a break! I'm just pointing out that during all these months of talking with you, you never spoke like this."


His tense posture relaxed at the mention of our chats. "I was on the air," he said quietly. "They don't take kindly to swearing, you know."


"You weren't always on the air, Tony," I pointed out. "Not when we had our conversations."


"I talk to strangers publicly for a living. I'm great at turning it on and off when I need to."


I shook my head. "Hot and cold. On and off. Friend or stranger. How can I tell for sure which version of you is the real Tony Masen?"


His eyes widened and for a quick moment he looked like he was going to say something. Then he stood up and went over to the bed. "You can't. You'll just have to trust your gut."


Later that night . . .


". . . You acted like you hated me."


"Hate?" He scoffed and then shrugged. "I was understandably curious about you, despite all appearances to the contrary."


He was curious about me. I smiled and relaxed a little more. I could feel myself getting sleepy. "Will you tell me more about yourself?" I asked.


"More?" he chuckled. "You're about to conk out."


"I like to fall asleep to the sound of your voice," I said, my eyelids getting heavier. "It's been a while since I've done that."


"Really?" he asked with a smile in his tone. "Well," he said softly, "you'll learn more about me on this trip for sure. Hmmm. Okay, uh, I play the piano, and I went to school…"


I slept peacefully for a while. Tonight, there were no nightmares. In fact, for the first time in the past month, I dreamt a nice dream about Tony.


"No matter what happens, you know the real me, Izzy," dream Tony whispered, as he reached for my hand.


In the dream, we were lying on a blanket in a meadow full of flowers. Tony's head was on a pillow, which was odd, and his body was facing mine. His eyes were closed… and he was holding my hand.


My lids were heavy as I looked at my hand in his. Then his eyes slowly opened and looked into mine.


This is a nice dream, I thought as I drifted into a deeper sleep.


The following day . . .


It was around seven a.m. when we pulled off the highway and made our way to a rather isolated set of houses in a neighborhood just outside of Vegas. Tony stopped the bike and we dismounted, pulling off our helmets. I looked around and squinted as I took in our surroundings. Somewhere, a dog barked.


I was surprised by the look of worry on his face. "Who lives here?" I asked.


"Some old friends of mine. They kind of lay low so I thought this might be the best place for us to hide out." He stepped closer to me. "Iz, you're about to-"


Suddenly there was a loud bang as the door to the house slammed open and I jumped. I heard the distinct sound of a shotgun being cocked. "Who are you and what the hell do you want?" an angry voice snarled.


Friends? I looked at Tony, my eyes popping out of my head. Tony looked down at me and bit his lip. Then he raised his hands slowly and turned around to face a very big guy on the porch.


"Hi, Emmett," Tony said.


The guy lowered his gun and looked back at Tony in surprise. "Doc? What are you doing here?"


At that moment, a little girl came running out of the house and stood by the large man. "Uncle Eddie! Mommy," she called, "Uncle Eddie is here!"


Doc? Uncle Eddie? What's going on?


Tony turned back to face me, the worried look still on his face. Then he closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He opened them again, stepped closer and extended his hand toward me.


"Hi, I'm Edward Cullen."


A ton of questions went flying through my head and my emotions shifted quickly as I went from confusion, to anger. I stared at his hand waiting for mine.


Holy shit, I don't know this guy at all!


I looked back up into his nervous green eyes and then I was suddenly calm as I remembered his voice and eyes in my dream. "No matter what happens, you know the real me, Izzy."


I put my hand in his and it felt just like my dream. I suddenly realized that it was real; he had indeed been holding my hand last night.


"You just have to trust your gut," he'd said. I squeezed his hand and couldn't fight the smile that suddenly spread across my face.


"Nice to meet you. I'm Bella Swan."


I watched as his face softened in relief. "Bella…" he whispered, nodding at me.


Huh. His name is Edward Cullen.


"You know," I said, still grinning like a nut, "you look like an Edward."

No comments:

Post a Comment