Tuesday, July 12, 2011

True Love Way

True Love Way by TeamBella23
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6428102/1/True_Love_Way
Moving Trucks and Sunglasses. Rollerblades and Heart Shaped Potatoes. M&M's for Smiles and Notes Across Lawns. "Sometimes I'm just sad." and "I fucking love you hard." A story about first loves and the struggle to keep it. OOC/AH Drabble. Heavy Themes.
http://teambella-23.blogspot.com/



I was on Twitter searching for something to read last Thursday. I wanted something gripping, something epic to undo the damage left behind by a bad fic. Anyway, I was getting lots of recs when I came across a tweet by @SophieJax (Jaxon_22) author of Pound of Flesh which I love, love, love. She was raving about it, and I thought I'd give it a try. One chapter in and I was sold. I downloaded the fic on my ipod, went to karate, swimming and then home. I couldn't put it down for one second regardless of where I was. It is amazing.



I love a good growing up with Bella story. In fact, I hope to make that a category on my blog someday, like Moms Who Can't Say Fart. Anyway, this story starts with Bella at age 10 and follows her until she's an adult, 20's I think. I also love a story that's written in a unique way, not so much the plot, but the actual writing style. This story is written in drabbles. Each chapter is short and gives just a small glimpse into the characters' lives. It's perfect. The author does a great job of pounding a lot of meaning into a small amount of words. Both of these characteristics of the fic: the growing up with Bella aspect, and the unique writing style, made me think of two fics that I love. So, with the risk of sounding like the biggest fanfiction dork ever, I would suggest that if Get Me to You and For the Summer had a baby, True Love Way would be its name.

Bella and Edward are best friends. They are neighbors and grow up together. They love each other unconditionally and are always there for each other. When Bella becomes a teenager and her inherited chemical depression asserts itself, Edward is the one to get her through. They have a lot of trials together, but they love each other always, through thick and thin. Bella and Edward's love in this story is unlike any other I've seen. Edward dotes on Bella but not in a love sick way. He genuinely cares about her and for her. Bella is co-dependant and so fragile at times, and it's heartbreaking to watch her go through life loving Edward and hating herself for putting such a burden on him. This story showcases depression in a way I've never seen, and it's true to life. I love these characters, and I want them to be together. They're meant to be. This is one of my favorite Edwards. He's amazing and so real.

Edward is a do gooder in this story. I love DogoodWard. He combs Bella's hair and gets her to school, he beats up Mike Newton when he says bad things about Bella, and he protects her virtue even to his own detriment. He's the sweetest. The author writes this story in both Edward and Bella's POV, but I must say that Edward's POV is my favorite.

Edward's family and Bella's family also play a huge role in this story. All are interesting and well written. I particularly love TeamBella23's version of Charlie who constantly gives Edward "boy" looks and calls him "freak boy". He's condescending, protective of his daughter, and a bit abusive to Edward but in the cutest way possible. He just wants his daughter to be happy and for Edward to keep his hands to himself.

While this story has some sex in it, it is done tastefully. It's romantic and true to life but not graphic. It's beautifully done from either POV.

Team Jacob is a no go. He's into drugs and a bit of a jerk.

I love, love, love this story. Read this excerpt and I dare you not to fall in love with these two.

Chapter 5 Excerpt
I wash my hands while I try to see my butt in the mirror. I can't, so I stand on the toilet seat and look. Even through the blue lenses of my glasses I can see the red mark on my jeans. I don't even have a sweater to cover myself up with. Edward told me to wear one. "Don't be dumb," he told me before we left, but I wasn't cold.


But Edward was.


Allowing a few tears to fall; I bite my nails until, they ache. I'm thinking, thinking, thinking again: Where is Edward's class? What block are we in? How much time have I spent in the bathroom?


Hiding my bloody jeans with my binder, I tip toe very quickly until I'm standing in front of the art class. Looking through the small square window, Emmett see's me first. Edward looks and waves. I call him over, and give him the 'I need you really, really bad' look.


He comes, I cry, he hugs and together we leave without a word to anyone. Edward gives me his sweater, he understands and tells me to remember that he lives in a house with two girls. That it's ok, it happens…


We walk in the rain with Edward's sweater tied around my waist and his arm around my shoulders. We sing old eighties rock songs and whisper dirty little secrets about people at school until we reach his home. He takes me upstairs into his empty house, and when we reach his mothers bathroom he hands me a box of things.


"Tampons." Edward shrugs; blushing like crazy. Blushing like a cherry.


"How do you use them?" I ask because I'm totally stumped.


This is when Edward leaves the room. "I'll be out here," he tells me while he makes a quick exit.


"But Edward, I don't know what to do." I chase him. "And I need a change of clothes," I admit shamefully.


This is where I learn Edward Cullen's weakness. See, in this very second I just discovered that Edward doesn't like shame…he gives me a dirty look. A filthy look.


"Don't ever be ashamed, Bella - never ever, ever." He grabs the tampon box. "I'll go into the bathroom with you. I won't look, I swear to you I won't look."


This is also the day that Edward Cullen stood in the bathroom corner while reading me tampon directions. He never looked, just like he said he wouldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment