Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Contests - The Perfect Venue for the Busy Mom

When I delivered babymuse I was worried. I fully admit that fanfiction is a big part of my life. I enjoy reading it, writing it, and making friends throughout the fandom, but it's time consuming. I understand that it takes as much time as you give it, but I'm a giver. It's a problem. So, as I said, when I delivered babymuse I was worried. I knew I would cut my hours way back, and I would have to surrender to motherhood again (and I mean that in the best way possible). I spent the first few months grieving the loss of the online community I loved so much, though I remained relatively involved, mostly by reading and voyeuristic activities on twitter while nursing my newborn.

As babymuse has learned to move a bit, and as her brothers have learned to play with her, I have learned to enjoy some free time. Not a lot, mind you, but enough to do some writing.  I had many ideas but a full story was not feasible with a baby NAC (nursing at computer). Plus, I tend to be one of those writers that wants to put her best foot forward, so I get a little anal when it comes to editing. It's time consuming being anal.

So, what to do, what to do? I wanted to write, but not full stories. The Twilight Awards are in my twitter feed and they are always spewing contest spam. I started to look and wow! such great fic prompts were offered via contests. My mind started turning, and thus a contest junkie was born.

It all began with Cold Nights, Warm Bed which I wrote for JBNP's Summer in La Push contest. Then I wrote The Invitation for the Just a Kiss contest. I won BellabbBlack's Judge's Pick on that one (no banner yet). I've recently moved on to write for anonymous contests and decided to stretch my Team Switzerland muscle by writing Edward/Bella. It's fun! Thus far I have two entries: one posted in the School's Out for Summer contest, and the other posted in the Boys on Boards Contest. They are very different, but I'm proud of them both. Just as an aside, I've read several entries in the Boys on Board contests, and they are worth your time. So good.

What's the point of all this drivel? (Excepting self promotion, of course ;)) Well, I'm here to say, just because you're a busy mom, doesn't mean you can't write. You can! You can find the time. I have discovered that nap/quiet time for kids equals about 1/3 of a one shot. And once the kids are in bed, a few hours at the computer can finish it off. I've also learned that you don't need a whole month to create an entry from start to finish. Two days to write/self edit. One day with a prereader/self edit. One with a beta/self edits. One for another round with the beta for approval and voila! a one shot is born in five days. Isn't that awesome? I think so. Shutting up now.

Go enjoy some contests! Write and read and vote and keep your summer interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment