Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Controlled Burn

Controlled Burn by staceygirl aka jackbauer
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5375481/1/Controlled_Burn
Summary: Bella has always joked about marrying Alice's much younger brother so she could be a part of her best friend's family, but now he's all grown up and hot. Bella tries to control the burn for him, but it quickly becomes a raging fire. ExB AH

Jacob is  the youngest Cullen. That's all you need to know in order to love this story. Seriously, how funny is that? Sooooo funny!

Imagine an older (post-college) Bella pining over a younger Edward. Intrigued yet? I am. Edward is Alice's younger emo, poetry blog writing, musician brother. Alice and Bella have a long standing joke that Bella will join her family someday by marrying her younger brother, Edward. And then she meets him and oh look it! he's hot as hell and mysterious and mmm. This story is all told from Bella's POV, so when I say that Edward is mysterious I mean it. We catch glimpses of him when Bella goes to visit Alice and when she eavesdrops on his blog, but that's about it. We don't see him grow up from 17 to however old he is in the end (22 I think), but it doesn't matter because he's Edward and plays the guitar. Swoon!

Bella gets to know Edward a bit on a visit to see Alice. He's living with her to help with her daughter, Lucy. Bella and Edward get thrown together a bit and his mask seems to disappear when he's alone with her. We find out quickly that Edward is a misunderstood, sensitive musician and his family doesn't approve of his career choice - or lack of one. Little do they know. Bella supports him, and he can talk to her. A pseudo-relationship evolves. Yay!

The Cullen family dynamic is hilarious as are Bella's interactions with them. Simple scenes become ridiculous comedy. The way in which this author writes is so realistic. This story is relatable, which makes it oh so lovable. The story's simplicity also makes it lovable. Nothing insane happens. No one's dead, no one's a dominatrix, or a hooker, or has a terrible past they're trying to overcome. This story is about regular people dealing with family relationships, and it's awesome.

This author writes comedy so well. She writes romance so well. And she writes Edward's poetry so well. Below are just a few of my favorite examples.

This story is Team Jacob safe if you have a sense of humor. In fact, there's one line in particular about Jacob that had me laughing so hard that I have to share it. "It wasn't that Jacob was ugly, he was just gross." Ba ha ha! So great! He is gross, in this story anyway.

This story is also mothers who can't say fart safe. It's a new category I'm adding. Anyone can read it as the sex is implied and there is one puny curse word. Id' recommend this story to anyone. It was fantastic, and I can't wait to read it again.

I heard him yawn and then say, "Hey."

"Oh, hey Edward. I hope I didn't wake you. I just needed some um, clean underwear."

I pulled out the first pair I saw and held them up. They were cotton Strawberry Shortcake panties. Wait why was I showing him my underwear? I started giggling nervously.

"Um, okay," Edward said. He looked a little afraid. I grabbed a shirt and some jeans out of the closet and bit my lip in horror as soon as he couldn't see my face. Had I really just shown him my underwear? I prayed he wouldn't tell Alice or Jasper.

"See you later." I made a beeline for the door.

"Bella?" he called after me.

"Yes?" I stopped and looked at him. I forced myself to smile and act confident. I could do this.
"I think you dropped your underwear."

"Oh." My smile disappeared as I slowly looked behind me and saw Strawberry Shortcake looking up at me. I grabbed them, let out some weird chortle while I shrugged at Edward, and then ran out of the room.

Later during breakfast...

"Let's all go around the table and say one good deed we've done today," Alice said.

"None of us have left the house," Edward sighed.

"So, surely you can think of something nice you've done," Alice prompted as she started passing the food around the table.

"I haven't said everything I've wanted to," Jasper winked at me.

"I let Bella use my conditioner," Alice said.

"You didn't let me use it," I argued. "I just used it."

"Well, I made it available to you. What have you done, Bella?"

"I'm not slapping you right now," I mumbled under my breath. Edward, sitting next to me, let out a small laugh; I felt some of my nerves finally start to settle. "I let Edward sleep in his bed." I smiled proudly.

"And I let Bella show me her panties." Edward smirked, Jasper choked again, and Alice just looked horrified.

"Bella! What did you do?"

"I… I…"

"Calm down," Edward stopped his sister. "I was just teasing."

A few excerpts of Edward's poetry:

Shhhh
so many words scare me.
if she would stop talking I might kiss her. I might need her. I might love her.
she never shuts up.
I sit and I listen and I wait for my chance.
when she takes a breath, I'll take what's mine.

Goodbye
i had to leave.
your smile. your words on repeat in my head.
your smell. the sway of your hips.
i had to leave. you.
i had to go.
through trees and fields and rain i fly
trying to imagine a world without her.
it follows. me. your smile. your smell. your sway.
from where you laid your head on my pillow.
i had to leave. i had to go.
i won't forget. anything. you're everything.
no matter the miles and songs.
her heart. my heart.
her love. not mine.

I hope that you will take the time to read this story. This author no longer writes fanfic, but she was sweet enough to respond to one of my reviews, um, because I was kind of stalking her. She said I was pretty. Yay! She seems like a super sweet girl and her author's notes are just as funny as her fic. Also check out her outtakes from Edward's POV. I saved them for last so that he could stay mysterious and that worked out well for me. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment