Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Green

Green by Bratty-vamp
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6108912/1/Green
What happens when lawn-boy, geek, and self-proclaimed social leper finds himself in a situation that shakes his comfortable invisibility? Will he stay green? AU- All human.



Green features a geeky, service oriented, virginal Edward who is best friends with Alice. His father is Carlisle, the Chief of Police. It's very much a role reversal for the two main characters, but it works. And Carlisle's relationship with Edward is really well written.

Bella, the popular beauty queen type, meets this virtual nobody Edward when he saves her from drowning. The two get to know each other and the story moves from there. It's about crossing over into two very different teenage worlds - the popular kids and the nobodies.

The author does an amazing job at describing first love and exploring your sexuality. Edward is so innocent and sweet. It's really fun to see him go through his sexual exploration with Bella. He says things like, "That's so awesome," when he discovers Bella's given him a hickey and the like. It's from his POV, which this author does really well. I particularly love his musings about the topics women chat about. It's very cute. I love this young (very much still a boy) Edward.

One of the funniest chapters I've ever read is Chapter 16 Oh the Horrors. Before you read, you need to know that Edward's father has given him a box of condoms previous to this event and that he and Alice have sleepovers often. Here's a brief excerpt...

"Edward?"

"Yeah, Dad?" I stepped out of the kitchen toward him. Bella stood in our foyer, holding a can of Pringles in one hand, and a sleeping bag under her opposite arm. I barely had time to focus on the fact that she wasn't merely stopping by, because Rosalie Hale stood beside her, holding matching items.

"I… didn't know you were expecting more company," my father muttered. Alice stepped up beside me and made a tiny 'eep' sound as though someone had stepped on her tail. I was pretty sure no one heard it but me. And that was okay, because it matched the sound I had made in my head.

"I hope this is okay?" Bella blinked wide eyes up toward me and shrugged the arm that held her sleeping bag. "When we talked, you said that you and Alice just usually crash on the floor?"

"Oh. Yeah…" I nodded, and looked over toward my dad. I half expected him to call down the thunder. He was leaving for work, and his son was apparently having a pajama party with three attractive teenage girls.

"I brought Ro along," she nodded in Rosalie's direction. "Just… you know. You've got your wingman, and I've got mine."

"Edward?" My dad looked at me, and shook his head. I'm not sure what he saw written on my face. Maybe it was because he was still pretty young, himself. But he probably figured out quick that he would be putting an end to the greatest story in a young man's life if he decided to get all parental about things. So he didn't.

"Call me at the station if you kids need anything. Got it?"

"Got it," I breathed. "Thanks, Dad."

My father turned to leave for work, muttering 'should have bought a bigger box,' under his breath. I hurried to welcome the girls inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment