Friday, November 5, 2010

With Teeth

With Teeth by Talulablue
http://www.twilighted.net/viewstory.php?sid=7061
Edward is a 27-year-old alcoholic/addict struggling with his recovery. Bella is a 23-year-old who's moved back home after college. This fic chronicles how they meet, fall in love, and struggle with the complexities of their relationship. Not nearly as maudlin as it sounds (I hope).

This story is dark and light simultaneously making it a very captivating read.

The hardest chapter of this whole story is chapter one - I assure you. Edward is absolutely disgusting and his behavior is despicable. So much so, that I wondered after chapter one if I even wanted to read it. But, I'm so glad I kept going.

Bella's nonjudgemental attitude and Edward's hesitancy to be with Bella (due to his issues) guides the story. This story spans years - 5 I think - following their relationship and it's growth or lack thereof.

Getting inside the head of an addict was very interesting. I really felt for this Edward. He wanted so badly to be normal, to love, to live but his lifestyle (and background) kept him from doing so. While Edward's journey is the basis of this story, Bella grows up quite a bit too and learns about life and love along the way through various other relationships.

The author writes her side characters well too. I particularly was fond of Jasper in this story as well as Seth, who plays a small role. Jacob plays a part too, particularly in Bella's life. He is written respectfully and has a good run with Bella. This story is safe for Team Jacob.

This story contains one of my favorite lines ever written in fanfiction. I could not stop laughing after I read it. While trying to get Bella to dance, a hilarious Jacob (while flailing about showing her his moves) says to her, "I'm lord of the motherfucking dance."

No comments:

Post a Comment