Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Here We Are by Purelyamuse (a sneak peek at a new story)

Author's Note: Here's a little something I've been working on. I refuse to start posting it on fanfiction until I have an idea of how much time I can spend on it. I hate reading stories that aren't updated regularly. But, in the meantime, I may post some bits of things I've been writing on my blog. I'd love to hear from you. Let me know what you think... comment away.

Here We Are
Summary: After an intense summer of battling newborn vampires and getting his heart broken, Jacob is left with nothing. Four years later, he is attending UW when a familiar face shows up as his newest teacher. “What the hell was going on? Bella Swan, er, Bella Cullen, was looking straight at me. And she was… human.” Post Eclipse, ignores Breaking Dawn. AR, 1st P POV, IC, OC.

Chapter 1

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I groaned, smacked the alarm on my nightstand and rolled back over to sleep for nine more minutes. My body ached and I felt exhausted. It didn’t take me long to fall back to sleep: I was always out when I hit the pillow. 

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I slapped the alarm again, but this time rolled over onto my belly to gaze at the clock. 7:18. Crap! I ran into the shower for a quick bath, running the soap over my body with barely enough time to rinse thoroughly. I was going to be itchy all day. Damn moisturizers. Why did I let Alex convince me to get this soap? ‘Members of the opposite sex like soft skin,’ Alex had said. How dumb.

I threw on my clothes, grabbed my books and an apple from the table, forced my toes into my flip flops by the door, and ran out. My legs pumped underneath me and brought me to my destination. But, wait, where was I supposed to go again? Crap!

I pulled my schedule from one of my books and realized I was on the wrong side of campus. Double crap! I glanced at my watch: 7:30. Class started in 10.

I ran even faster than before, dodging students who strolled leisurely through the quad. Was I the only one late? And who would be caught dead on campus at 7:30 in the morning when they didn’t have a 7:40 class? Idiots.

I made my way into the Language and Literature building and searched for the right room number. I wiped the sweat from my brow and tugged my shirt from my chest so I could dry and not stink up the whole class.

I stepped through the doorway of A-112 and caught my flip flop on the threshold. Argh! My whole body came crashing down to the floor with a loud thud, my books spilling in front of me.

I heard audible gasps and a few giggles aimed at my splat . Sweet. What a great first impression I was making. Stinky and clumsy. I hated morning classes. They were nothing but trouble, but my job demanded I be there early in the day. And since I loved my occupation, I had no choice.

I got up onto my knees, brushed off my shirt and gathered the books within my reach. I heard the tell tale sign of heels clicking across the linoleum and a book was shoved in my face.

I gazed at the shoes: fancy things, black and tall and expensive looking. I was reluctant to look up and see the pity in the eyes of the owner of such nice shoes. I had been pitied enough for the past few years; I didn’t want any more, thank you very much. I took the book, pulled my apple from my shorts and stuffed it in my mouth, holding it with my teeth. I stood up slowly, taking in the legs that were attached to the black heels. The thighs that were attached to those legs were encased in a fitted black skirt. I couldn’t bear to see more. Why did some female bodies have to be perfect? Irritated, I closed my eyes the rest of the way as I stood and finally opened them with annoyance and mumbled, “Thanks,” around my apple.

A sweet face gazed into my eyes and a small smile played at the corners of the woman’s mouth as she whispered, “Hey, Jake.”

The apple crashed to the floor as my mouth opened wide in shock.

“Bella?” I said as my voice cracked for the first time in I don’t know how long.

We simply stared at each other for a moment: she smiling at me and me trying not to throw up. What the hell was going on? Bella Swan, er, Bella Cullen, was looking straight at me. And she was… human.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to see this again! I love the banner BTW. Yesterday was my birthday and this is a great post birthdya gift. I like the fun of this. I like the setting and I think this has incredible potential. I can see every snip it of this perfect in my mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you have another winner here. I am so looking forward to reading the rest of this. Can't wait to find out what Bella's story is here. Hate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup. Not gonna lie. So freaking excited that I'm bouncing in my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sweets, its Jakejunkie... omg! Tell me these is MORE! I love small TEASER! Yes, I said TEASer! Jake's pov was perfectly JAKE... the transitions seamless and exposed writing put the image of Jake and his sprint to class PERFECTLY in my head. (uh, he has a nice A** btw).

    Write this woman! I may pester you if you don't!

    ReplyDelete