Friday, May 31, 2013

Never Said I Didn't Chapter 1



Never Said I Didn’t by Purelyamuse
Summary: Edward is finally ready to play ball, but is Bella? Is it too late? The bases are loaded. He's just waiting for Bella to give him the signal to run. EPOV, Human, HS.

18271_421172677948485_1604666760_n_largeChapter 1


Where’s Bella?

Just as I think the words, my butt moos. I laugh as Tanya scowls. She doesn’t think it’s very funny. I do; so does Bella. She’s the one who put the ringtone there.

I’m home. Where’re you? Not driving, I hope! Call me. –B

I dial her immediately.

“I’m at Marcus’s.”

“I was just there. Bailed when the hair connection showed up.”

"Of course you did.” I peer around at Tanya and her friends, and they are all way too put together. Hair in place, matching purses and shoes and belts and earrings. Everything’s perfect. Too perfect. Like they’re pretending.

“You want me to come back?” Bella’s just being nice. I know she left for a reason.

“No, it's cool. Tanya's here.”

“Oh, well if Tanya’s there . . .”

“She is my girlfriend, you know.”

“Oh, I know. Everyone knows. No one can miss it, believe me, with the way she flaunts you about the school like a prize.”

“Are you saying I'm not a prize? I’m frowning right now, by the way. A big ol’ puppy dog frown.” This is the most fun I've had all day. Except when I mowed the back lawn and Bella played aim for Edward Cullen's head with some wiffle balls.

“Uh huh. Well, you're not as good as a Cracker Jack's prize. Those last forever.”

“Forever? Please,” I scoff.

“Don't tell me you forgot the Easter tattoo fiasco?”

I laugh out loud. “Gran Swan was ready to murder you. That thing was right on your bicep—bold and beautiful, like you.” 

“I didn't know she’d get me a sleeveless dress. How could I have known?”

“I know. I'm surprised she didn't just buy you combat boots. Or better, some boxers. You wanted some of those.”

“I did not!” She’s such a bad liar. Has a terrible guilty conscience, too.

“You’ve stolen four pair!” 

“I still have them, too. Wearing the penguin ones now. Which ones are you wearing? Hmm?”

“Like I'd tell you.” I would, actually. It doesn’t really matter. Bella’s my guy. Or something. 

“S’all good. Tanya will tell her gals tomorrow, and by Monday the whole locker room will know.”

“She would not.”

“Mmm hmm,” she says, all innocence.

“Would she? Has she?” Now I’m curious. Does Tanya kiss and tell?

“Uh uh. My lips are sealed. You know I don’t do girl talk.”

“Good.”

Tanya tugs on my arm, and I make a face, slipping away. She giggles at my silly game, swatting at the air. Really, I don't want her to bug me or hear what I'm saying. Bella’s a good distraction right now. But seeing as that’s rude, and I try to be a good boyfriend, I say, “We can talk later. I'm being summoned.”

“I'm sure you are.”

“You miss me, I know,” I say, grinning ear to ear, waiting for her line.

“Never said I didn’t.”
 




No comments:

Post a Comment