Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Overpass Chapter 2


Edit3_large
Excerpt from Chapter 2 . . .


Bored, I head outside to play darts and score an iced root beer. I hope Carlisle’s outside nursing his own beer. He always entertains me when I get exhausted by the crowds. He’s the same way—likes to socialize but needs a break now and then.

But I don’t find Carlisle alone. Edward’s with him. On my stool. Playing with my darts. Maybe I don’t want to get to know him.

“You’re a thief, you know that? Stealing my pseudo-family, my pseudo-dad, my pseudo-chair, my pseudo-darts.”

“Your pseudo-heart,” Edward quips.

“How old are you? Really?” I ask, standing in front of him so he can’t make his shot.

He shakes his head. I look to Carlisle who smiles before bringing the bottle to his lips, taking a drink.

“I’m twenty-one.” Dead serious tone.

“And I’m a stripper,” I say.

“You let Alice hang out with strippers? Cool.” Edward and Carlisle bump knuckles.

“I’d let Alice hang out with Bella any day over you, and you’re my nephew,” Carlisle says.

“That says a lot about you, Carlisle.”

“Yes. It says I have good taste.”

“It says you’re disloyal.” Edward’s trying to sound stern, but he’s not fooling anyone.

“Disloyal, my ass. I give you a roof and food and teach you my trade, and—”

“You’re teaching him engines? I’ve been begging you for years. You never let me under the hood.” My teenage brat comes out every once in a while.

“I’ve got nudie pictures up in my shop, and crass men work there. Besides, Esme teaches you to cook. We share our skills.”

“Nudie pictures don’t scare me. I’ve seen naked women, you know. And I already know how to cook.”

“Oh, yeah, those hash browns,” Edward starts.

And Carlisle continues. “And her quiche with the mushrooms and spinach.”

“You’re staying the night, right?” Edward’s hopeful to eat my food. Though, I’m hopeful, too. Sometimes we bump into each other at night when I can’t sleep.

“Yes,” I say, putting my hands on my hips. “No breakfast for you.” I turn my back on them and walk away, wrenching open the door.

Just before it closes Edward shouts, “Seventeen.”



Tumblr_mggmwwzbus1rh5d6jo1_500_large


306538_401632826586989_795909413_n_large
Tumblr_mblrd020u41qelldmo1_500_large
Tumblr_mglfbtbvn81qfh34so1_500_large



Tumblr_mgd8hrl8uo1qjm9bpo1_500_large
Tumblr_mg64ljkg511s23ewao1_500_large


1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad that you're back with another story.
    And I love these weekly excerpts.
    :)

    ReplyDelete