Sunday, September 18, 2011

Masen Days Outtake 1: The Day Masen Gives Bella a Gift


Excerpt . . .


Thirty minutes later we’re wandering around the mall. I really hate the weird three-floor structure they’ve got going on here. It’s so confusing. I can’t find Pacific Sunwear, and I can never read those kiosk map things. What does ‘You are Here’ even mean? I’m not on that map. It’s so stupid.

“Look, look, a girl shop. Go in there. Go get Bella some earrings or perfume or something. She likes earrings, doesn’t she?” Embry asks, looking to Masen for help. Masen shrugs.

“Why are you shopping for Bella?” Masen asks as I walk into Icing and peruse the merchandise. They’ve got some funky stuff here, and I like it.

“It’s her birthday this Sunday,” I say. “She said she doesn’t really like gifts and people spending money on her, but you know me: I don’t listen to anyone.”

“That’s an understatement,” Embry says and sits down in the middle of the aisle with all of the hair accessories. He pulls out his phone and starts playing a game. Masen sits across from him and looks around at the shelves.

I walk the perimeter of the shop, picking up a necklace here, a hemp bracelet there, but nothing really says Bella to me. I look at one last wall of hair tools and grab a bright green feather hair extension. I haven’t tried these before. They look fun. I pick up a few colors and hope Bella won’t hate them too much. Maybe we can have a girls’ night and do them together.

I sort through my massive bag, looking for my wallet and not paying attention. I bump into Embry, or, rather, he grabs me. “Just wait a second; he’s doing something. Don’t screw it up.”

***I know this is old, but I never found a picture that I liked until now. Oh well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment