Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A Beta by Any Other Name Would Smell as Sweet . . .

. . . Unless her name is MeraNaamJoker, JKane180, KennedyMommy3, Perrymaxed, or Mac_214.

Did that even make sense? I'm not even sure. Just go with it . . .

Apparently today is celebrate your beta day -- or whatever it's called -- and I believe it because I am not only addicted to Twific but have also become a Twitter sheep, obediently obeying whatever Twitter tells me to do, like thank my betas (Thank you, betas! And thank you for not judging my blog's incessant need for run on sentences and tense confusion. ;)).

But in all seriousness I cannot say that I started writing Twific with a good sense of writing style or skill of the grammatical variety. I do have a degree from a real four year university, and I did teach Language Arts to ghetto kids in Phoenix that lived near the strip club, but that doesn't mean that I know how to write fiction. Now ask me to write you a solid, five paragraph persuasive essay and I'm your girl. But that doesn't really help me as a Twific writer. So, when I really started to get a fanfic following I thought, I should try harder, be better, learn the craft (and use snobby literary terms like "craft"), and, so, I sought out a beta. I haven't looked back since.

Just as every writer is unique, so is every beta. Each one teaches me something different and has different strengths, but you know what the most amazing thing is? I'll tell you. The most amazing thing is that these women -- these betas -- sift through the crap I call writing and edit the hell out of it in their spare time because they're nice. Really, truly. That's it. They're doing this out of the decency of their own hearts. For free. Can you believe it? How cool are they? Um, very!

The women I work with live all over the place, have different homelives, different occupations, and educational backgrounds, but they all have one thing in common . . . I am indebted to each and every one of them for making me a better writer.

So here's to all the betas out there that improve Twific on a daily basis . . . Thank you, and I love you.

And to my personal betas . . . what can I say? You never cease to amaze me. You never fail me, even when I procrastinate. You never scold me when I make the same mistakes over and over. And you teach me and encourage me and make me look so much more intelligent than I actually am. For this, I am so grateful.

My hat's off to you. And you do smell sweet like a rose. Aw. Smooches to my beta girls. I adore you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Much Love,
Purelyamuse

2 comments:

  1. Aww, you're too sweet!! In all honesty, you don't have that many mistakes that need correcting and you were already pretty good at it when you came to me. Your writing is wonderfully funny and emotion tugging (<--if that makes sense?? Even betas fudge it up sometimes) So glad you let me be a part of it! -km3-

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was doing some things correctly, but I didn't actually know why they were right. You helped me to put a rule to what I was doing. It was helpful! You taught me so much, so don't underplay it, missy!

    ReplyDelete